botchok

30 March 2005

scarred

There's an urge for me to share this. Here's a conversation that takes place between a man and God, and what he said expresses the feelings of a lot of people. It's deep, meaningful and worth reading.


SCARRED PEOPLE ARE BEAUTIFUL
- Charles Cooke

"I've seen a number of movies lately, Lord, like Romeo and Juliet. The love of young people, at least in these movies, is beautiful.. so simple.. so total.. so uncomplicated. They seem so natural, so free in their feelings, I wish I could be like that Lord. But I can't be. I've been hurt, Lord. I have trusted and been betrayed at times. I have loved and received nothing in return. I have tried hard to care and failed -- often. I have shared my secrets and heard them whispered to others. I have asked forgiveness and heard no response. I have been warm and received a cold shoulder. I've been through it, Lord. I've fallen on my face. I've banged my shins. I've been bruised. Look Lord, I'm all covered with scars."

And then the Lord speaks: "Maybe you haven't understood enough. Maybe you haven't learned that human life is like that. All saints are scarred. Young love isn't the highest form of human love. The greatest love comes from scarred people. I know that many people stop loving so they won't be hurt again, but those people who do start over again, who continue in spite of all, who leave themselves open to the possibility of being hurt again, these people are able to love in a deeper way, a more understanding way, a richer way..."

The man ponders the words of God and says, "I think I know what you mean, Lord. I've met people like that -- and knowing them gives me courage. The great people are those who continue to love with all their scars. I like scarred people, Lord. They are beautiful..."

1 comments:

Post a Comment

<< home